I am glad to see another user of sympal. :)

Frontend is a new and empty app right ?
If yes, i suggest you to delete it and to create it with the task:
symfony sympal:create-site frontend
it will do the same as "symfony generate:app frontend" plus add some
record in the db.

For your second question about sfDoctrineGuard: I think it is already
sharing the same user/group/permission/etc tables.

hope that helps.

Mickael