Sorry for my previous mail.
i was on the move and i just remembered "Symfony 1.2" ... instead of
"symfony (1.4,
doctrine 1.2)"

About your initial qustestion: try implement the whole system as a
symfony platform. That will allow you to put some order in your
code...
Those automatizations like sending notifications mails could resume to
2 symfony commands run from a cron job.

symfony yourapp:build-notifications
symfony project:send-emails

Also, the interface could be easily built be using the crud.

Alecs

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Alexandru-Emil Lupu
<gang.al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How complex is the "old" application? Using symfony, it might be play in the
> park to reorganize your old code, and make your necesarilly adjustments on
> the schema as you need, or you consider proper.
> Btw... do yourself a favor and code it with 1.4 . I will tell you why in 30
> mins
> Alecs
>
> sent via htc magic
>
> On Dec 14, 2009 8:24 PM, "Campezzi" <campe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone, I'm starting a new project and I'd like some input
> from the community as to what is the best way to approach this
> implementation. Here it goes:
>
> The project goal is to automate the client's invoice generation and
> management (email notifications,etc). The client already has a custom
> system in place (pure php + mysql) that includes a database of clients
> and projects and also some basic accounting screens. This new project
> should interact with these systems that are already in place (i.e.
> getting client e-mail addresses from the database to send invoices,
> creating accounting entries when invoices are paid, etc.)
>
> As you can expect, their systems are currently a mess of unmanageable
> code, and I wanted to create the invoicing system using symfony (1.4,
> doctrine 1.2). Here's where your input is appreciated: how should I go
> about integrating the new sf-based project with the old database where
> necessary?
>
> So far, my only idea is to duplicate the old database layout in my
> schema.yml file but I'd like to avoid that since the current db is
> really, really messy...
>
> Any ideas?

Have a nice day!
Alecs

As programmers create bigger & better idiot proof programs, so the
universe creates bigger & better idiots!
I am on web:  http://www.alecslupu.ro/
I am on twitter: http://twitter.com/alecslupu
I am on linkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alecslupu
Tel: (+4)0748.543.798