I wouldn't say Cake is _bad_. I've used it on a fairly large project and wasn't
horrified by it - but maintaining a Cake app is a LOT more work than creating
and maintaining a Symfony app.

Work === time === money.

This is chiefly because Symfony has a lot of additional helpers, and auto
generates much of what you need from config files. With Cake there's a lot of
code to write... and a lot of SQL queries. Views are scattered in a
sub-template kinda sucky way that takes getting used to. More code means more
"stuff" where errors/typos can occur, so maintaining it also takes longer (and
therefore costs more).

I'm not sure if you can use Doctrine or Propel with Cake - never tried.
Certainly, if you could this would reduce the workload somewhat.

Cake *IS* based on PHP4 though - which you may or may not have an issue with (I
do).

Probably not the Cake-bashing email you wanted ;)

I'd be tempted to tell the client that if they understand Cake, it's not SUCH a
quantum leap to learn Symfony. Many principals are the same. Due to the fact
that Cake is based on PHP4, which is now deprecated, I take the stance that
means that Cake is also deprecated.

Still, if they insist on Cake - let them eat Cake ::ducks::