What kind of shared hosting are you on. There are some that assist symfony
based websites, A2 hosting, ServerGrove, Dream hosting, go daddy...each of
them has a wiki of it's own explaining the hosting...u can't really
configure the web server httpd.conf, on a shared hosting. although, if
possible, try downloading an instance of apache over to the domain u have
access to and then do the configuration changes...I am pretty sure u can
have multiple instances of apache running on a shared system....