I generally use remote function for the same.

<?php echo checkbox_tag('selectdate', $currentdate, array('rich' => true,
'onchange'=> remote_function(array('update'  => 'common_area','url' =>
'home/homeselectdate','script' => true,'with'=>"'id='+this.value")))); ?>

<?php echo checkbox_tag('option_a', 'yes', true, array('rich' => true,

http://www.symfony-project.org/api/1_0/FormHelper