On 04.01.2010, at 11:49, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

> On 03.01.2010, at 14:07, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
>

>> On 02.01.2010, at 20:05, Daniel Lohse <annismcken...@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> You can handle this in the global project schema.yml as it's merged
>>> automatically with the plugin schemas and is the last information
>>> added to the mix so you can override (but not delete) and customize
>>> every model object defined in plugins. This is how I now add
>>> additional fields to the sfGuardUser model (like next_password_reset
>>> and the like) that is original to the project. Am I really missing
>>> something you said/are saying? I can only imagine that merging/
>>> adding of additional behaviors wouldn't work but it works for the
>>> columns: key and so should work for everything else.
>>
>> not at my laptop atm but if indeed all plugin schema files are just
>> appended to the beginning of the global schema.yml then all that
>> really needs to happen is that plugin authors make extensive use of
>> the yaml "merge key" support (just google "yaml merge key" to find
>> specs but sfyaml doesnt support the full spec. maybe there are docs on
>> the sf components page.
>

> i reviewed the code, but to me this is far from that i need. the code does
> attempt to merge things, but it first parses, applies some magic and then
> merges the models to then finally dump a new yam file. at this point the
> merge key alias are of course lost, nor would they help, since every schema
> file seems to be parsed independently.
>
> i tried to quickly change the code to append the files together and use merge
> key to handle the plugin schema files (including overwriting a plugin schema
> file via another plugin using merge key), but i ran into some odd issues. not
> sure if they are related to sfYaml or some of the magic in the doctrine base
> task file.
>
> another approach would be to somehow inject all the previous merge key
> alias's before doing the next sfYaml::load() call, but that would require
> some modifications to sfYaml that i have not investigated if they are
> feasible.
>
> as for copying the schema definition into my own schema.yml, this does work
> after all. but there is a bug that led me to believe that something more
> severe is broken (*). however it means that i need to keep things in sync
> manually if any of my plugin schema files change. so to me we should still
> work towards finding a better solution.
>
> at this point i still believe that we would probably be served better to base
> the entire plugin schema handling (and extending) on merge key and not on
> magic inside the doctrine plugin base task.

thinking about it some more .. maybe we can go in a direction similar to the
import directive in the ServiceContainer .. than again does it even make sense
for me to worry about this for symfony 1.x or should I just make sure that
Symfony 2.x is more sensible here and accept that I need to duplicate the
schema definition in 1.x?

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
m...@pooteeweet.org