I've been wondering the same thing you have, and I haven't found any
evidence of an effort to convert this to Doctrine.

I've been planning to do this for a project I'm working on, and
naturally I was planning to feed it back into the community once I'd
done so. I'm about ready to start work on it. This development occurs
as a "free" time (6-8 hours a week) project for me, so I may be a
little slow in completing the job.

I'm relatively new to Symfony and how to go about checking code into
the public repository, so I'd be thrilled if you want to take on that
effort. I was intending to do the development first, then worry about
that aspect later, but it couldn't hurt to get that started sooner.

One more thing. I was planning on adding two small features around
email notification: an email sent to an administrator upon a new post,
and a user option to be notified upon new posts on a thread. (These
were part of the PHPBB system I'm migrating away from, and I'd miss
them if I lost them.) That gets a little tricky since it introduces a
dependency upon some sort of mailer. I was planning to use Zend, since
I'm already set up with that as part of my use of
sfDoctrineApplyPlugin.

Post to this thread or get in touch directly if you want to discuss
this further!