Actually I got very curious and did an experiment myself.Parameter
$field turns out to be a string like:

'<input maxlength="50" type="text" name="test[first_name]"
id="test_first_name" />'

So I guess the solution would be a little bit hacky, involving some
regex to detect which field it is and give it a different format
(e.g.: add <span> prefix on one field and append </span> on the second
field) :-\