Hi,
I wrote a complete fb application and had a similar problem. The problem was that the fb requests lost the session in the sf app all the time. The fb requests do not support cookies and so the normal session storage does not work.

In my case, I worked with a special session storage activated in the factories.yml:

----
class FacebookSessionStorage extends sfSessionStorage
{
  public function initialize($options = null)
  {
    if(!$options)
    {
      $options = array();
    }

$options['session_id'] = preg_replace("/[^A-Za-z0-9-]/","", sfFacebook::getFacebookClient()->api_client->session_key);
    $options['auto_start'] = true;

    return parent::initialize($options);
  }
}