Just to beat that horse some more, since Apostrophe is open-source and
built by programmers that encountered all the problems and challenges
you're looking to solve, the suggestion is to look at their schema /
code for inspiration. Any answer we could give you here would simply
re-iterate what's in there.

Daniel

security at symfony-project.com