Is the standard way to go through a mult-step work-flow?  I would like
to know too.

I don't think you will have a problem with your approach. I think back
in the day I had problems serializing forms because some widgets had
an unrealizable database/pdo handle bound to them, but I think its a
non issue now. You can try persisting a form in the parameter holder,
but if it does not work, just persist a plain old php object acting as
a data-structure. The common pattern I see:
  i- Have one state-full class and carry that through the lifetime of
the work-flow. Held in the Parameter holder of course. Perhaps you may
want a collection of little state-full classes, then in that case,
namespace them to the name of the workflow and flush out the namespace
when your done/last step.

  ii- Author multiple small form objects for
         a) easy construction of the workflow UI,
         b) the form API advantages, (data-structures on form
submission, validation, )
You don't necessarily need forms built of your entity objects or need
to 'mutate' (as opposed to evolve ;-) ) the autogenerated forms to
your needs. try making standalone forms with widget and validation
schemas and work with those. It helps when the same entity's fields
are on different pages of the workflow, or your representing key
fields only from a package/family of entities.

  iii-Author 'thin' Action/Controller code that will
      a) inject forms and pull from (call validate and re-inject if
needed) the form if submitted
      b) mediate between the form data-structures and the statefull
class in (i)
      c) interface with the business model tier as your workflow
requires.
I say thin as thin controllers are good practice, from my research and
experience, pushing queries into the model tier, (unless its a simple
find) and pushing complex tasks into an appropriate/new if needed
model class means you get more code re-use/DRY factor, as we can reuse
decoupled OO business model objects, but not so in controllers.

With best regards,
Alex Stoneham

security at symfony-project.com