Forgot to add the following in the backend settings.yml
   login_module:           sfGuardAuth
    login_action:           signin
    secure_module:          sfGuardAuth
    secure_action:          secure

So for anyone stuck with this the solution was either, add this AND
sfGuardAuth in the settings (which I'm pretty sure I did before)

OR the above AND creating the admin user.

Thanks for the help Gábor and safa.

security at symfony-project.com