On Apr 30, 7:37 pm, Tom Haskins-Vaughan <t...@templestreetmedia.com>
wrote:
> I've been thinking about using 'keys' instead of full sentences:
>
>   echo __('layout.greeting');
>
> But is this an acceptable/symfony way to do it?

Symfony won't tell you off if you do, it's up to you. There are pros
and cons really...

The biggest "con" is that you have no fallback translation, so you may
find someone looking at some language with "homepage.welcomemessage"
instead of the default which you would probably have written in
English. This means you also have to create an English trenslation,
which you wouldn't have to do if your base strings were English in the
first place. Another potential downside is with reusability. Depending
on your implementation you may have "loginform.submitbutton" and
"registrationform.submitbutton" which will take up two spaces in your
translation file whereas otherwise they both would have been covered
by __("Submit"). This has a customisation advantage (which you could
also use catalogues for), but a reusability disadvantage, so it's
really down to your architecture.

Just weigh it up and do what fits best for your needs - it's not a
"best practice" issue in my opinion, just a design decision.

Russ.

security at symfony-project.com