Simone,

As soon as one uses a function in the SELECT clause, the result is no
longer an object made persistent in the database, it's a new class (a
subclass (not yet defined) of DoctrineObject).

Because you are using SUM, there is no unique key for the result
(except in the situation where only one row matches the WHERE clause),
so any methods of Slave which update the database are not going to
work (as you have no GROUP BY, the result of your query is a single
row and therefore a subset of Slave and not SlaveTable).

You could instantiate a new Slave and set its properties to the
results of the query. This would allow you to use the methods you have
already written (if I understand the reason for your question), as
long as they don't reference fields/properties not included in your
query.

Please ask if you want more details.

Regards,
Graham