The major issue with shared hosting in my experience are:
  - performance, can be really poor in some cases with no performance
guarantees - you can have a page responding in 1 sec, another time 20
sec and you have no control over this. Also if you are over your quota
in resource usage (cpu mostly) you are being cut off.
  - symfony deployment - easier to deploy if someone has ssh access.
In my case I need it because I'm using svn to update project code on
the server.
  - can not do advanced configuration for improved performance, be
that Apache, PHP or MySQL, e.g. install opcode cache such as APC, move
rewrite rules to Apache config. All these tweaks can provide a huge
boost (in the order of 3x - 10x ..).

Then again your requirements may be different and you can be more than
happy with shared hosting.

For instance I use shared hosting for personal usage but for business
the company I work for has collocation facilities for its servers.

    gabriel

security at symfony-project.com