This is all easily answered by looking at the symfony documentation which has
a helpful section on setting up a symfony application on a shared web hosting
service, i.e. a service where you do not have root access to the machine
hosting the site:

http://www.symfony-project.org/book/1_0/03-Running-
Symfony#chapter_03_sub_configuring_a_shared_host_server

security at symfony-project.com