First: If you do a ajax-request you won't get a layout added to the
response - that's why the jquery-framework is not loaded by default.

Second: What exactly are you doing to send some javascript as
response? you could try dataType = script (jQuery:
http://api.jquery.com/jQuery.ajax/
) or use the eval() function within the callback of jQuery.

security at symfony-project.com