Hi Sela, how is it going?
I met with the same situation some weeks ago and the solution I got was the
following (take in consideration that my project is a Propel one):

1) on the generator.yml file of my frontend module I added:
    list:
        display:       [=title, date, status_name]
        fields:
          status_name: { label: Status }

2) as status_name attribute didn't exist I had to create the corresponding
getter method in my \lib\model\ProjectNews.php file
    public function getStatusName() {
        $statusName = "-";
        if ($this->getStatus()) {
            $statusName = ProjectNewsPeer::$statuses[$this->getStatus()];
        }
        return $statusName;
    }

3) as you can see it was necessary to create a public static array
($statuses) in my \lib\model\ProjectNewsPeer.php file which contained all
the available statuses of my ProjectNews object.

 static public $statuses = array(
        'C' => 'Created',
        'H' => 'Hidden'
 );

That's all I did. ;-)
Hope it helps you to implement what you need. Let me know if anything is
understandable.

Regards,
*maro ::*

security at symfony-project.com