The symptoms you described show otherwise. Try to uncomment the
<IfModule> tags in your .htaccess, if you get an internal server
error, you surely have it disabled.

Also, even if it is enabled globally, it may be disabled for your
vhost. Check your related config, and look for the AllowOverride
directive. I am not sure what you need to enable there, my one usually
looks like `AllowOverride all`, obviously only on the dev machine.

security at symfony-project.com