On 7/11/10 1:17 PM, Tarjei wrote:
Hi, here are my initial questions and comments regarding Symfony2.

Wow, that's a lot of feedback! Thank you very much. My answers below..

1. Deployment.
Are you planning a .phar deployment solution where the src directory
gets bundled up as a .phar file and distributed to the server? Have
you though through the different deploments scenarios for bundles?

Possibly. Packaging and distribution is something we will take care of late in the Symfony2 timeline as this orthogonal to everything else.

How do you plan to handle images and javascripts packaged with
bundles?

There is a command to install them under the web/ root directory.

2. Filters
A killer feature I miss is the old filters framework for requests.
Should events be used in the future?

Yep, we have events now. There are more flexible.

3. Names
The console command should start with a letter that no other directory
in the same directory starts with. I.e. not console and config as that
would reduce the number of redundant hits to tab.

Any idea?

Also, I find the separation of templates into Resources/views a bit
strange. Templates are a very important part of every webapplication
and should be easier to find- I.e. they should have a toplevel
directory in a bundle.

The reasonning behind this decision is to put all non-classes into one directory (the Resources/ directory). It contains templates, config files, assets, ...

5. Routing.
How does a bundles routing fit within the routing of a complete
system?

As I understand it, each bundle may be routed to a suburl where it
then has complete control over the namespace, but also that you can
route a single uri into a bundle. Is this essentially the idea?

Correct

6. Status of the security features.
symfony has a nice and ready security system based on credentials.
Will this system be used, or are you planning something new?

Has development of sfGuard for 2.0 started?

We will of course have something... probably for Symfony2 PR3... but I'm getting ahead of myself here ;)

When do you think the first version of the admin generator will show
up?

Not planned yet as we need everything else before even thinking about it.

7. Bundles
I like the concept of bundles and how they work, but one thing I found
confusing when reading through the documentation and the examples is
the difference between a bundle in src\Bundle and src\Application. The
difference should be explained somewhere.

src\Bundle is for generic bundles not related to the application (think third-party bundles)

src\Application is for bundles tied to the application (they cannot be reused)

Another thing I think you'll want is a tool for creating / working
with bundles and applications that is outside the application
directory( i.e. a bit like mvn).

That's possible. You can host bundles anywhere you want (just change the getBundleDirs() in your kernel so that Symfony2 can find them).

Versioning of bundles is also something I think you'll want to add
already now. Also a way to declare dependencies.

That's part of the distribution process as you don't want to check dependencies at runtime. So, that's something that we will work on after the first beta.

Fabien

security at symfony-project.com