In both your suggestions, if I get them correctly, the idea is that from a
template, I should output some javascript to set some variables or any other
way to get the url back from my javascript later. Which seems weird to me,
and "wrong" on the side that I don't really want to add js in my templates
and prefer to keep it separate.

For an idea, my case goes like this: I have a form to enter some information
of a sofa for example, and one of the fields allows me to chose a "design"
for the sofa. This design has some default dimensions: width and length.
Those are the information I want to bring back through ajax.

So:
1. get to the form page to create a new sofa
2. choose a design
3. this triggers the JS to go look for the default size (from the design
module) and fill it in the form.

my js file is in the js folder and in it I have a url linking to
"/design/:design_id.json" but for this to work on my dev environment, I need
that url to be: "/frontend_dev.php/design/:design_id.json".

So is there a way to output that url in the js through php and symfony?
Or a way that I can get it through the dom but without already having to put
it here by myself beforehand?

security at symfony-project.com