Sorry, I didn't get that you need to run an actual app too on the same
project. Well, then yes, it's the case you need two databases, to keep
data clean too. You could use some kind of flag to differentiate real
data from the demo stuff, but it would be not to best thing to do...

With symfony you can easily use two different connections on an app-
basis. Check the gentle introduction to see how this is done.

security at symfony-project.com