Create a base action with a "preExecute" method. Check in that method for
the user's group and change the layout accordingly. Then extend your actions
from this base action. This would be a way of doing it. Another way would be
maybe with a filter, but I like to have a baseAction and your requirement
fits to put it there:

// Put it in your app "lib" dir if it's app specific, or in project's "lib"
folder if it will be used globally

class baseAction extends sfActions
{
    public function preExecute()
    {
        // Do your user's group check and other stuff here

        // Change your layout accordingly
        $this->setLayout( $myLayout );
    }
}