Hi,

After reading the loadDbalConnection method of DoctrineExtension
(
http://github.com/symfony/symfony/blob/master/src/Symfony/Bundle/DoctrineBundle/DependencyInjection/DoctrineExtension.php#L137
)

I think you could test something like this:

doctrine.dbal:
  connections:
    default:
      dbname:               sf2test
      user:                 root
      password:             pass
      driver:               PDOMySql
      charset:              utf8

But I have no idea for the "collation" option.
It seems that your event suscriber is the only solution.

security at symfony-project.com