Hello,

I'm working in a company where IT architects advocate "3-tier
architecture". The main reason is security.

Those same architects usually defines "3-tier architecture" with JAVA
technologies like this :
  - A frontend server (Presentation tier) listens to HTTP requests and
creates the HTTP response. In web environment, an HTML page
(containing tables, forms, ...) is built using JAVA templates
depending on user credentials.
  - A backend server (Application tier) is called using JAVA RMI
(Remote Method Invocation, implemented for instance by EJB containers)
each time business logic (e.g. form validation, data persistence) or
data (e.g. paginated rows) is needed.
  - A database server (Data tier) stores relational data.

Pages are rendered on Presentation tier, buisness logic is executed on
Application tier and data are saved on Data tier. See [http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitier_architecture] for more information.

My boss asked me to build a proof of concept of a PHP framework
relying on such a 3-tier architecture. I chose Symfony2 as this PoC
basis because of its flexible architecture (and its Oracle support via
OCI8 with Doctrine DBAL's help).

My idea is to replace RMI by SOAP : Presentation tier will call a
webservice (passing something like the serialized DIC as parameter),
then the Application tier will run the controller (eventually calling
Data tier using Doctrine) and return template vars and the view to be
rendered by Presentation tier and sent back to the client.

I've spent the last week reading a lot of documentation and code to
see what i have to tweak in Symfony2 code and i think it could be
great if you can tell me your opinion about my idea or even point me
in the right direction.

Regards,
Benoît

security at symfony-project.com