When using multiple conditions on the same column you need to use a
criterion that links them together otherwise the last defined
filtering criteria is taken into consideration.

Using your example something like this:
$c = new Criteria();
$c1 = $c-
>getNewCriterion((CommentsPeer::COMMENT,'likes',Criteria::NOT_LIKE);
$c2 = $c->getNewCriterion(CommentsPeer::COMMENT,'%likes
%',Criteria::NOTLIKE);
$c1->addAnd($c2);

$c->add($c1);

   gabriel