>From my experience it is always best to have the Primary Key field be an
auto-incrementing field. If you have additional fiekds wich might be some
kind of serial number or something thats fine, that can be a column with a
unique index, but a lot of searches tend to happen on Primary Key's and
integer searches on a sorted field tend to be far more efficient than a text
search on an unsorted column.

In addition, seperating into a auto-incrementing PK column means that you
can alter the other columns ar a whim without worrying about breaking ID
associations with other tables etc.

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 6:56 PM, xpanshun <srhen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, is there a way to make it so that primary key fields are even
> viewable? It seems they are hidden by default...
>
> On Nov 3, 12:31 pm, xpanshun <srhen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've seen this question asked before a lot but from years ago--so
> > there wasn't any working response. I am hoping now that its 2010, that
> > there is a solution...
> >
> > I am using Symfony 1.4. I am currently working with the admin
> > generator and I have some primary key fields that are NOT numeric auto-
> > increment. These fields are varchar that I need the admin to input
> > manually.
> >
> > Is there a way to get such a primary key--or any primary key field to
> > be editable or created new on the backend?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

Gareth McCumskey
http://garethmccumskey.blogspot.com
twitter: @garethmcc