Hey there,

your first insight is right, you're holding 2 references to the same
object, so it'll always be the same.
In your second case I could only imagine that the updated_at field is
being updated (maybe). To find out, why don't you look at the
serialized strings and see where they differ...

Another way of detecting updates is testing if updated_at == time(),
because (at least in propel), it should only be updated when the
object is actually saved.

Daniel

security at symfony-project.com