On my development machine, if I dump the Driver Chain's Drivers, I get
an array with a single entry for my "Application/XXXBundle/Entity"
which is a "Doctrine\ORM\Mapping\Driver\AnnotationDriver".
The same thing on the remote server gives me an array of "Doctrine\ORM
\Mapping\Driver\XmlDriver"s for:
Symfony\Bundle\FrameworkBundle\Entity,
Symfony\Bundle\TwigBundle\Entity,
Symfony\Bundle\ZendBundle\Entity,
Symfony\Bundle\DoctrineBundle\Entity,
Application\XXXBundle\Entity,
Symfony\Bundle\WebProfilerBundle\Entity.

As these are all XMLDrivers, including the one for my Application
\XXXBundle\Entity, I can see why it's looking for a *.dcm.xml mapping
file, but I've no idea why the same configuration on the remote server
would default to XML mapping rather than annotations.

security at symfony-project.com