if someone should have the same problem in the future, the user ventzy
on the symfony forum has found a workaround for the problem:

 $articles = ArticleQuery::create()
      ->useArticleI18nQuery()
        ->filterByCulture('bg')
      ->endUse()
      ->withColumn('ArticleI18n.Title', 'TitleBg')
      ->filterByProductId(285)
      ->setFormatter(ModelCriteria::FORMAT_ON_DEMAND)
      ->find();

    foreach ($articles as $article) {
      echo $article->getId();
      echo $article->getTitleBg();