Hi,

Given that Symfony is built around templates, I am trying to figure out how
I can leverage the power of the templates for other things, such as emails.
For example, I would like to write up my email in a template form, then
simply pass it the necessary variables to populate it.  Finally, if I could
"get" the output as text, I could assign it to the body of my mail, and off
I go.  That would allow me to separate the contents from my action.

I've checked the docs, but haven't found anything that really explains how I
could make something like this work.  For instance, I'd love to be able to
do somehting like:

   // start pseudo-code
   $emailTemplate = new Template("myEmailTemplateName" );
   $emailTemplate->setVar( $user );
   $body = $emailTemplate->getMergedTemplate();
   // end psuedo-code

    $email = Swift_Message::newInstance();
    $email->setFrom( "someaddr...@something.com" );
    $email->setTo( $user->getEmail() );
    $email->setSubject( "subject line" );
    $email->setBody( $body );

    $this->getMailer()->send( $email );

Then in the "myEmailTemplate" I'd be able to put in whatever text I wanted.

Do I need to install another template engine plugin for something like
this?  Or can I use what Symfony already has?

Thanks!

Eric

security at symfony-project.com