I don't know how this works for the datagrid, but there is an
alternative plugin which can handle this without a problem:

the sfGrid, together with the sfDataSourcePlugin:
http://www.symfony-project.org/plugins/sfGridPlugin
http://www.symfony-project.org/plugins/sfDataSourcePlugin

It is all described in the readme' s

security at symfony-project.com