>From http://symfony.com/doc/2.0/book/security/authentication.html

After a successful authentication, the user is redirected based on the
following algorithm:

    * if always_use_default_target_path is true (false by default),
redirect the user to the default_target_path (/ by default);
    * if the request contains a parameter named _target_path
(configurable via target_path_parameter), redirect the user to this
parameter value;
    * if there is a target URL stored in the session (which is done
automatically when a user is redirected to the login page), redirect
the user to that URL;
    * if use_referer is set to true (false is the default), redirect
the user to the Referrer URL;
    * Redirect the user to the default_target_path URL (/ by default

Hope it helps.

This article might also:
http://www.dobervich.com/2011/03/21/symfony2-blog-application-tutorial-part-v-intro-to-security/

security at symfony-project.com