I'm fairly sure GoDaddy is using PHP 5.2.14, and you'll need 5.3.2 or
higher to run Symfony2 (link:
http://help.godaddy.com/topic/419/article/4180?locale=en
)

I'm using amazon AWS, with a Ubuntu install running on a micro
instance (which means it's somewhere between cheap and free, until I
need to scale up).  It definitely takes a bit of setup (you start with
a base OS install, and then add the web server, PHP, database, etc
yourself).

Hope this helps - Matt

security at symfony-project.com