Le 09/05/2011 14:18, keymaster a écrit :

> by default, the console run in dev environment. You need to use --env=prod

Bingo. That was exactly that piece of info I was missing.

php app/console -env=prod cache:clear

Routing is now working as expected.

Thank you very much for your help Christophe.

I'll try and summarize for anyone else who reads this after me, in the hope it helps someone.

SUMMARY

If you have app_dev.php in your url, Symfony2 will use the development environment. Since Symfony2 clears the development cache automatically on every code change, as soon as you add a new route, it will be recognized.

If you have app.php in the url, or nothing at all, Symfony2 defaults to the production environment - even if you are running on your development box. In the production environment, new routes will not be recognized until you clear the production cache.
To be clear: the file *defines* the environment. And the rewrite rule provided by default rewrites the urls to the app.php file which means to the prod environment.

Clearing the cache in the CLI without any options in the command, clears the development cache, not the production cache. If you want to clear the production cache (which you need to do if you add a new route, or other things which are cached, and you want to go to the site without app_dev.php in the url), you have to add -env=prod to the cache:clear on the CLI,like this:

php app/console -env=prod cache:clear

CONCLUSION

It seems while you are developing, for simplicity, you should keep app_dev.php in your urls, always. If you want to work without app_dev.php in your urls, make sure to clear the production cache explicity, by adding -env=prod to the CLI command.
Exactly. The dev environment is meant to be used when developing.

I may have missed it, but I don't think the documentation spells this idea out so clearly.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks, Christophe for all your assistance.

It's people like you which really build a successful community.

--
If you want to report a vulnerability issue on symfony, please send it to security at symfony-project.com

Christophe | Stof

security at symfony-project.com