I ended up asking the dev list and was directed to
http://symfony.com/doc/current/book/internals/profiler.html.  I ended
up with the following in my app/config/config_dev.yml.

framework:
    router:   { resource: "%kernel.root_dir%/config/routing_dev.yml" }
    #profiler: { only_exceptions: false }
    profiler:
        only_exceptions: false
        matcher:
            ip: 127.0.0.0/8
            path: "^/(?!app)"

Now the WDT appears on pages other than /app.

security at symfony-project.com