My company is re-doing our online forms with symfony2 and we've run
into a particular problem in the way that it handles disabled fields
aka read_only.

The problem, as we see it, is that often, some form fields need to
start out as disabled, but later based on user input, those form
fields may need to have user data binded to it, which is impossible
(very tricky)  if the field is rendered with read_only.

Take for example, we have a form that needs the military affiliation
only to be displayed, when certain occupational choices are selected.
If military is enabled out of context, it will be detrimental to our
business and therefore we cannot make military enabled by default,
however if the user picks certain occupational choices, military
affiliation is required, and therefore if it is rendered as read_only,
it cannot be bound when the user submits the form, and therefore is
also a problem for our business.

I am not looking for suggestions on how to produce this effect with
presentation and post rendered javascript solutions. I am trying to
point out that there is a flaw in producing a semantically correct
document with the current forms implementation as I see it.

I suggest that there should be a way to flag a field as disabled,
without making it read_only. Currently, the only way that I see of
flagging a field as disabled is by making it read_only which I think
there should be some distinction of purpose between the two terms.

Thanks,
Jesse

security at symfony-project.com