3rd party bundles (eg. FOSUserBundle, SonataAdminBundle, etc.) are different
from the SE distribution. Different support levels, different release
schedules, etc.

While it's true in theory that SE comes with third party bundles, they
really are only third party with respect to those inside the Symfony
development team. For me, those bundles inside the standard distribution are
basically Symfony2. I ain't changin' 'em any time soon.

So, I guess the point is we want to minimize migration effort once Symfony2
becomes stable and issues maintenance releases. Those maintenance releases
are rarely going to be changing app/ or bin/ or src/ or web/. It may happen
sometimes, but most of the changes will be in what is now called the vendor/
directory.

I would think it would be much easier to just plop a replacement vendor/
folder in, leaving the rest of our project as is. We don't necessarily have
to upgrade the FOSUserBundle, for example, just because a new maintenance
release of the SE has come out.

I know we can separate it out ourselves, but I thought it should be part of
the officially recommended structure.

As I said, I may be out to lunch, but it would seem to be sensible. Do you
not agree?

security at symfony-project.com