Hi Fredrik,

> I've set up a separate project http://code.google.com/p/mpmath/ for
> the Float code. I'm basically going to make this a very light-weight
> library that will essentially just provide arithmetic and the standard
> math and cmath functions. There will only be one or two .py modules,

Yes, that's awesome. This is the way to do it, so that other people
can easily use it and integrate it in other projects.

> and the interface will be simple so that SymPy can easily import the
> functions for its Float class (this is already being implemented in
> branches/sympy-sandbox). Much of the current numeric code in SymPy,
> like integration and optimization code, will not be moved over to this
> project, since that code is most useful when combined with the
> symbolic functions in SymPy.

I think we can simply copy the latest files from mpmath to sympy, the
same way we do with pyglet. So that users don't have to care. In
Debian, if there is going to be a separate package for pyglet and
mpmath (which currently it is not), I will just delete it from the
Debian python-sympy package and will depend on the pyglet and mpmath
debian packages.

But generally it's a pain to install external packages, so I want to
keep sympy self-contained.

Ondrej