Ondrej Certik wrote:

> I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me it is not possible to patent a
> code that someone else has written and released as BSD or GPL, is it?

IANAL either, but I don't think this is correct -- patents and
copyrights (licenses are implemented using copyright law) are
more-or-less orthogonal. Just because something is patented doesn't mean
it cannot be released under an open source license. You can have and
distribute the source code, but you might need to seek a patent license
to actually use the code. One example of this I know about is the
marching cubes algorithm in VTK (although that patent has now expired).

GPLv3 may explicitly deal with this issue, but I think GPLv2, BSD and
MIT licenses don't.

-Andrew