2008/7/7 Ondrej Certik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> The docs are here:
>
> http://docs.sympy.org/modules/rewriting.html#module-sympy.simplify.cse_main
>
> Stefan, what is the preferred way to document things in numpy? I mean
> what kind of REST markup one should use in docstrings, so that it
> looks nice in sphinx.
>
> Looking here:
>
> http://mentat.za.net/numpy/refguide/functions.xhtml
>
> it seems like you are using stuff like
>
> "
> Parameters
> --------------
> "
>
> Also is this now the official numpy docs style guide:
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/browser/trunk/numpy/doc/example.py#L37
>
> ?
>
> in the docstrings, so in this light, this patch:
>
> http://hg.sympy.org/sympy/rev/2a85bc165b30
>
> is not correct. But without it, the sphinx refuses to generate the
> docs. How did you overcome this problem?

The NumPy docstrings are not Sphinx-compatible reST, mainly because we
use top-level constructs (such as Parameters) in nested environments.
We take all the docstrings and parse it through a translator before we
send it to Sphinx:

https://code.launchpad.net/~stefanv/scipy/numpy-refguide

The reference guide is not yet looking very professional, but I hope
to invest some time in its presentation this week.

Matplotlib followed a bit of a different tack, and used Sphinx
compatible markup, which is extracted using the `autodoc` feature.
They also have plotting and LaTeX directives (LaTeX being rendered by
their own mathtext):

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/doc/html/users/mathtext.html

Regards
Stéfan