Hi,

when polishing my series patches (21 after polishing, I don't know how
many before polishing, maybe 30 or more), I learned a new thing:

git rebase -i HEAD~20

which takes the latest 20 commits, fires up a vim editor with a list
of patches (one per line) and here I tell it -- merge these patches
together, change the patches order, edit this patch etc. Then exit the
editor, and git will do it. If I told it to edit some patch, it stops
at this patch, so I just fix something in the code and do "git ci -a
--amend", or just when I want to fix the log, I do only "git ci
--amend". Then continue with "git rebase --continue" and it will
polish all the patches.

This is an incredible tool, because with mercurial, I have to import
all the patches to MQ, then qpop some, fix something, and then
painfully rebase all the other patches by hand (if they apply cleanly,
it's just "hg qpush -a", but if they don't, see[0]).
So I really hated when Kirr told me -- hey, your patch is crap, you
need to fix it and I had to absolve the pain of hand rebasing (often I
just used vim to edit the patch directly).
Now with git, I just do "git rebase" and it takes like 5s and it just works.

Awesome. So just wanted to let you know if you have the same problem.
When I learn git much more, I'll post some blog posts about stuff that
was pain with svn/hg and it's easy with git (and vice versa). So far
the only thing with git that is worse than with hg is that the tab
completion doesn't complete on "git di TAB", e.g. it completes all
files, not just the changed ones. But I think I read somewhere how to
enable this.

Ondrej

[0] You can do it, see:

http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/MqMergePatches

but it's many commands and you cannot use the merge facility, you just
endup with .rej files and you are stuck.