Hi all,
I am just starting to use Sympy and I have a couple of questions. My
need for sympy arose out of working on a simple Newton's method python
script which is intended to use Newton's method (a *numerical*) method
on somewhat arbitrary - but well-behaved - input functions. Since
Newton's method relies on the derivative of the function as well, I'd
like to be able to symbolically take the derivative rather than have
to use a numerical approximation. After all, these are well-behaved
functions, primarily algebraic and transcendental ones.
So, what I would like to be able to do is write some code in my script
which prompts the user for the function that will Newton's method will
be used on. I know on a basic level how to use python's built-in input
() and raw_input() functions. Is there a similar function in sympy, or
a way to use one of those to functions to do what I'm trying to do? I
couldn't find anything documenting this, and I really don't see why it
should be impossible to do. Basically, I just want to associate a
function "identifier" (e.g. f(x)) with some function (e.g. tanh(x) +
x), since it seems like trying to implement Newton's method here with
an anonymous function will be a pain.
Again, I'm working on doing this in a script, not just in an
interpreter like ipython or isympy.

Thanks!
Matt