Say I have a expression f containing symbols a, b, c, a**2, b**2, and
c**2 and I wish to  automate imposing the constraint a**2+b**2+c**2 =
1.  But a,b, and c and their squares are hidden (were generated by other
manipulations) so all I have are f and xsq (xsq = a**2+b**2+c**2).  How
do I extract the first square from xsq so that I can:

new_xsq = xsq-a**2-1 and then substitute new_xsq into f eliminating a**2
from f (I actually don't care whether I eliminate a**2 or b**2 or c**2).