Just rebuild sympy-git source and test the following:

from sympy import *
a=DeferredVector('a')
b=DeferredVector('b')
n=10
A=eye(11)
a=Matrix(1,n,lambda i,j: 'a%g' %j)
b=Matrix(1,n,lambda i,j: 'b%g' %j)
A[0,1:]=a
A[1:,0]=b.transpose()
A.det()

and it shows the right answer:

1 - a0*b0 - a1*b1 - a2*b2 - a3*b3 - a4*b4 - a5*b5 - a6*b6 - a7*b7 -
a8*b8 - a9*b9

Thanks all.

Another suggestion is about the sympy documentation. I don't know how
"sympy" manage the doc soruce and create the doc in html or pdf
format.

Then I try another way to make "interactive" document of sympy as
follows:

1. Use TeXmacs to import (or open) sympy doc ( $sympy/html/
tutorial.html#calculus );
2. Use embedding TeXmacs python session to run python code directly
within TeXmacs. TeXmacs will call python to run the code and show the
result. This part owns the interactive feature!
3. Moreover, TeXmacs supports flexible output formats, including pdf.

Any interesting, reference test TeXmacs file (tm format) and pdf file
from:

http://diffusion.cgu.edu.tw/ftp/TeXmacs/sympy_tut.tm    (and
sympy_tut.pdf)

Hope this might have help.