All,

To introduce myself, I am in my second semester of grad school at
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.  I use python for pretty
much everything I do programming wise but I am far from knowledgeable
(about a year experience).  I really enjoy programming and I try to
make an excuse to code any chance I get.  I have been using
scipy/numpy and matplotlib quite a bit in the last year for classes
and research.  I am really interested in learning how to effectively
use a CAS, specifically sympy.

I am trying to think about how to do homework assignments and
derivations with sympy.  I really have only been able to make real use
of sympy (and maxima before I found sympy) with algebra (solving
block diagrams) and basic integrations/differentiations.  Do you know
of any good examples of doing derivations with a sympy or any other CAS?
I have ran across plenty of tutorials for using maxima and sympy but I
have never ran
across an in depth comprehensive derivation or something. The
tutorials usually have a title along the lines of 'Learn Maxima in 5
minutes' or something. I have also seen the examples in the sympy
source distribution, but most seem to simply demonstrate basic sympy
capabilities, as they
probably should.  In short I am looking for a couple comprehensive
examples to learn how to think about using CAS.

Thanks,
Bill