Ondrej Certik wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:12 AM, Fabian Pedregosa <fab...@fseoane.net> wrote:
>> Maybe the distinction between Symbol and Function in SymPy is rather
>> artificial. After all, a function is an unknown variable with the same
>> operations as Symbol, being the only difference with symbol that they
>> live in different spaces (but specifying where the object lives is more
>> the job of assumptions).
>>
>> Or is there another reason to make Symbol and Function separate objects?
>
> They have different __new__ methods, e.g. Function is the base class
> for all sympy functions, while Symbol is just a symbol.

I understand the job of Function as base class of other functions, what
I don't like is the use of Function as an unknown function , as in f =
Function('f') (this is where I think Symbol should be used). Plus, now
that dsolve works with things like y(x), y and x Symbol, I wonder why we
keep using Function as an unknown function in the tests and in the docs
being the latter clearer.

> But I agree it is artificial in a sense. If anyone submits a patch,
> that merges the two approaches, and it is not a mess, we can do it.

ok, great. I'll add that to my TODO list :-)