On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 1:55 AM, Roberto Nobrega<rwnobr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The following was raised after SymPy documentation day.
>

> Currently we have 3 main sources of documentation:
>
> - GoogleCode Wiki.
> - MediaWiki (wiki.sympy.org).
> - Sphinx (docs.sympy.org).
>
> The current state is very messy. In my opinion, there must be no
> repeated information, and we should define what goes where. (Related
> issue: http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=707)
>

> Sphinx has the following advantages, pointed by Ondrej:
>
> <ondrek> the .rst is nice, that we ship it in the release tarball
> <ondrej> and it imho looks better than the wiki
> <ondrej> plus we can use autodoc feature of sphinx, that extracts
> docstrings from inside sympy
> <ondrej> plus once we fix it, a pdf documentation will be possible to
>
> MediaWiki and GoogleCode Wiki are far more accessible to newcomers and
> changes are committed instantaneously.
>

> Just for example, I see no reason for this to be on Sphinx:
>
>    http://docs.sympy.org/outreach.html#google-summer-of-code
>
> Also, there is GSoC info on GoogleCode Wiki and MediaWiki as well:
>
>    http://wiki.sympy.org/wiki/GSoC2009Application
>    http://code.google.com/p/sympy/wiki/GSoC2009
>

> As we discussed on IRC, I propose:
>
> - GoogleCode: Burn it. Except for FrontPage, Downloads, etc.
>
> - Sphinx: Only for Tutorial, User Guide and Modules Reference.
>
> - MediaWiki: Everything else. Including: Patches tutorial, GSoC info,
> Development tips, Bibliographical references, Quick examples /
> cookbooks, Future plans, Project reports.
>

> So, I propose the following actions:
>
> - Move (and then delete) all wikis from GoogleCode to MediaWiki. I
> started some work on this.
>
> - Delete from MediaWiki repeated stuff already on Sphinx and vice-versa.
>

> Some remarks:
>
> - We must be sure no information will be lost on this process.
>
> - We need some way to tell people our choices (e.g., not to use
> GoogleCode Wiki).
>
> - There is a very annoying Unicode bug in MediaWiki that must be fixed
> if we opt for using it.
>

> Is that subject too much preciosity of my part? What do you people
> think? Ondrej, for example, is against moving Patches tutorial from
> Sphinx to MediaWiki. Let's try to reach a consensus.

I suggest to use sphinx for everything, except some things that change
a lot, that should be on the wiki. I think tutorials are good to be in
the .rst forms, because the examples should be doctested.

Otherwise I agree. There is one more problem, that mediawiki is
nontrivial to manage (you need to maintain mysql, users, images,
lighttpd, and the php files for mediawiki). It took me about 3 or 4
hours to move it from one server to another, due to lots of small
silly problems. The google code wiki is less versatile, and sometimes
down or read only, but I don't have to maintain it.

I'll try to learn how to maintain things so that I can move it across
servers easily. If anyone has any advice, I am interested.

Ondrej