Hi, I'm not completely clear on what you are doing, as I don't use
jython, but couldn't you just use str(), as in

 >>> a = str(diff(2*exp(-x*x/50)+sin(pi*x)/x, x))
 >>> type(a)
<type 'str'>
 >>> F1D(a) # probably works now

Also, you can use sympify() or just S() to convert from a string to a
SymPy expression:

 >>> func = func="2*exp(-x*x/50)+sin(pi*x)/x"
 >>> print S(diff(func,x))
-sin(pi*x)/x**2 + pi*cos(pi*x)/x - 2*x*exp(-x**2/50)/25