Hi,

Aaron is now with me in Los Alamos and we are trying to figure out how
to nicely incorporate the Constant class inside SymPy, it's currently
in this branch:

http://github.com/asmeurer/sympy/tree/constant-Mul

and it works, however, as you can see, it need modifications in the
Add and Mul classes, and that's bad. The same goes to the Order class,
which also needs special handling in Mul and Add, and that's bad too.

I would like to find a solution, so that people can hook up their own
classes inside sympy and it would just work, yet the core would not
have to be modified. One thing that we figured out is to use a
handler, essentially Basic() would have some fast handler, that would
work for symbols and be fast (using dictionaries). But then Constant
and Order could override that handler and do their own stuff, like
O(x)+x -> O(x) and similar things, for which the default handler will
fail, because O(x) != x, and thus the dictionary approach will fail.

If anyone has any ideas how to approach this, it'd be awesome --- just
throw your idea here, no matter how crazy it is.

Ondrej